Wednesday, April 15, 2015

‘What a drag it is getting old’, or is it?
 
I decided to start off this post with a quote from the Rolling Stones’ hit Mother’s Little Helper’. (Don't be misled by the lyrics of this song: I am not going to advertise tranquilizers here! BTW: the song itself is as old as the hills. Can’t help it: when it comes to music, my taste is really old-fashioned and hippie-like)
Why? Well, maybe it’s because of my latest breakdown in health that I realized I am really getting old. Not that I have a problem with this inevitable biological process. I do not cry over every wrinkle appearing over my face, I decidedly ignore it. J The passing time has simply preoccupied my mind recently, filling my heart with questions like: what have I achieved in my life? Are there any new doors still open ahead of me? Is it my experience that matters, or is it the energy that will ultimately count, despite the fact that it is getting scarce? Should I give way and let myself be replaced with new young cool kids? The last thing in this world I would like is being a backward burden, a redundant retard, a helpless hulk. The young are merciless, that is for sure. I know it because I have been there. Even the very concept of ageism has been turned upside down as it seems. It is no longer “being discriminated based on [ANY] age”. When I look at entries like this URBAN DICTIONARY I feel that youngsters rule. Perhaps I am being punished now for my critical approach to everything that is immature?
On the other hand I am hopeful that my older days can still be fruitful and interesting. I find movies like ‘Quartet’
 
or 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel'
really comforting and promising. The character played by Judy Dench nicely defined good elderly life: "the point is not just to cope but to thrive!" Maybe the best is yet to come. I shall definitely let you know once I am there.
Not yet, though
 

1 comment:

  1. I hate that nowadays everything is about youth. Being young is great, but I'm really looking forward to my fourties and fifties, to be honest. And when I'm sixty, I will gladly hum along with the magnificent Maurice Chevalier in "Gigi" - "I'm Glad I'm Not Young Anymore" :)

    ps. sadly, i have to say that the urban dictionary is the BOMB :P

    ReplyDelete