Tuesday, January 6, 2015

 
Flavour Fusion
Melchior Wańkowicz once wrote that “every day has its own flavour”. (Przez cztery klimaty; Pax: 1976). I am not really sure whether he meant smell or taste, but either way - I find it very true. Perhaps it is because I remember various tastes and smells so distinctly and I keep them stored in my brain together with specific memories.
For example when I was a child,  I was eager to run to the newsstand every other day to bring fresh newspapers for my father, and the reason was this incredible scent of fresh print which I wanted to sniff at first in my family. Or this delicate aroma of a lemon slice slowly drowning in a glass of tea to accompany simple cheese sandwiches my grandma used to prepare for me for breakfast. Christmas is the time that brings such smell-associated memories to most of us, isn’t it?
This combination of orange peel, spruce needles, mushrooms and fried carp opens up extraordinary boxes in my brain.
I am writing about these olfactory sensations to somehow complete the discussions we had in class about other senses, i.e. eyesight or taste.  Remember we tried to imagine what would happen if were blind. Take a look at this short clip  below and think: what would you miss most if you suddenly turned anosmic?

I swear I would DIE without the scent of freshly brewed coffee! How about you?

BTW: Having read all your blogs I just discovered that “every blog has its own taste” as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment