Monday, May 25, 2015

How are you this Monday, post-election morning? Are you disappointed or joyful? Do you feel patriotic? Perhaps you want to share your thoughts with us on this subject.
My opinion? Well, instead of a commentary, which would probably sound bitter, I would like to announce my private contest.
I happened to listen to Rock radio today, which has been broadcasting Chopin's 'Funeral March' most of the time, but they also played some songs from my youth - Maanam, Republika etc. That's how I came up with this idea.
First listen to this: Nie pytaj o Polskę
Analyse the lyrics by Grzegorz Ciechowski, here is the TEXT and work on your translation of this song into English. Publish your contest entries as comments to this post of mine. Deadline: June 7, 2015 23:59.
The best translation will be selected by the end of June and awarded a prize. So get down on it!

3 comments:

  1. DON'T ASK FOR POLAND

    it's not carnival
    but dance I want to
    and I will dance with her till the day
    it's not a play
    but I'm playing
    sleepless nights, sleepy days

    she is not a lover
    but I sleep with her
    though they laugh at me and mock

    so tired
    and still drunk
    therefore don't
    don't ask me again

    don't ask me why I'm with her
    don't ask me why not with other
    don't ask me why I think
    there are no other places for me

    don't ask me what I still see in her
    don't ask me why not with other
    don't aske me why I still want
    fall asleep in her and wake up

    these dirty stations
    where I meets her
    those crowd swear quietly
    this drunkard who mumbles something in sleep
    as long as we live, she lives too

    don't ask me
    don't ask me
    what I see i her

    don't ask me what I still see in her
    don't ask me why not in other
    don't ask me why I still want
    fall asleep in her and wake up

    don't ask me why I'm with her
    don't ask me why not with other
    don't ask me why I think
    there are no other places for me

    don't ask me why I'm with her
    don't ask me why not with other
    don't ask me why I think
    there are no other places for me

    don't ask me what I still see in her
    don't ask me why not with other
    don't ask me why I still want
    fall asleep in her and wake up

    ...don't ask...
    ...don't ask...
    ...don't ask...
    ...don't ask...
    ...don't ask... why I'm with her
    ...don't ask... why not with other
    ...don't ask... what I still see in her
    ...don't ask... why not in other
    ...don't ask... what I still see in her
    ...don't ask... why not in other

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna,
    thanks for the effort. I really appreciate it, especially because you are the only contestant. :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs Woźniak,
    thank you for the book! I read it and I found it interesting. I'm glad that I understand everything :-)

    ReplyDelete