Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dear Brain,



To my relief I found out that people no longer think we use only 10 percent of our gray matter. Don’t worry, I refused to believe it anyway. Scientists claim something totally opposite: we do use 100% of our brains even when we sleep! Lots of brainy facts have been discovered, yet, the way you work and why you often fail us seems to be a great mystery. When brain power is not boosted on a regular basis it simply gets switched off – cell by cell. I decided to start working on preventing this deteriorative process. However, one can get lost among the many ideas on how to do it. Can anyone of you, my co-bloggers help me out and select the best methods (as many as 120 are listed under the link above), concurrently providing some justification for your choices?
My brain and I would be very grateful.

4 comments:

  1. First of all, I totally agree with you, I mean, I neither convinced myself to believe in the “10 percent myth”. It sounded ridiculous to me, taking in consideration the fact that the brain is so complex, so unbelievably strong and that everyday it runs a huge range of processes, even when we are sleeping. Perhaps, some of us aren’t conscious about its potential and its importance, but it doesn’t mean that we don’t use it. It just works constantly besides our consciousness…

    Anyway, I was really surprised when I read your last post, because it’s actually what I was thinking about these days. I was trying to find some efficient ways to boost my own brain and was discussing it with some people around to collect different tips and ideas. So I read the list of the 120 Ways to Boost Your Brain Power really pleased and, yes, there are too many to include them in our daily routine, but a couple of them, well, actually, 11 of them, convinced me a lot. Maybe you’ll take some advantage of my choices.

    I will try to describe them in the order they appear on the list. So the first is the number 6, “Develop comparative tasting…”. I think that it’s a good way to stimulate the brain because you need to learn constantly about differences and how to see them and you have to develop a certain sensibility. You learn to focus and these qualities they have a general influence on your brain capacity. Well, besides, it provides you a different level of enjoying what surrounds you.

    The next on the list, number 13: “Transpose reality…”, is very important. It makes you go out of your day by day reality. It’s some kind of effort for the brain, a good one, that increases your mental ability of perceiving the world. Personally, I would say that asking (hard) questions and trying to find answers is the best intellectual exercise, it stimulates your cognitive development and your imagination as well.

    What goes next, is the number 19 (“Draw. Doddle…”), but I would relate it with numbers 21 (“Engage in arts…”) and 56 (“Write!”). Be creative. This is the point, you have to try to add something “else” to your life. Do something that requires attention, the capacity to observe and to describe, using all types of available languages and to search. This is an absolutely efficient way of boosting your brain and expressing yourself. And what convinces me most, is looking at people who were artists, and who knew how to observe, look, talk…: the great masters like Leonardo da Vinci, J. R. R. Tolkien, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now… The right nourishing habits. So the numbers 23 (“Eat ‘brain food”) and 27 (“Drink lots of water”). Extremely important. Brain is also an organ, the centre of our nervous system so I think it’s the basis to maintain it healthily fed. Of course, if we want our brain to be 100% efficient. That’s why we should keep an eye on what we eat and drink as well. The brain, as many statistics has shown, needs a constant hydration and appropriate vitamins, and proteins to function well and to improve its general capacity. So I ecourage you to find out more about this so called ‘brain food’  I really took advantage of it.

    In order to give some “exercises” to our brain I think that the number 41 (“Play ‘brain games”) is fully recommendable. It’s scientifically proved that people who engage themselves in any of the ‘brain’ games provide an additional boost to it, avoiding at the same time, the deteriorative process. You keep your neurons alive and as well physically agile. At this point, I would add the necessity of reading but not only books, reading the press also provides an important stimulation to our brain, because of the research mechanism. Being aware of what is happening in the world so that we could develop our analytical skills as well.

    On the other hand, it helps to switch off from time to time and get in touch with nature (number 75). The brain needs a break too. One world: contemplation.

    To end up, points 109 (“Be curious!”) and 110 (“Challenge yourself”). The best stimulation for the brain is a constant curiosity of the world, searching, searching, searching… And challenging ourselves, of course. New ideas, new projects, new visions and the need to improve and keep doing things, and changing them are the biggest stimulations we can ever give our brain. The worst thing to do is to stop, to switch off…and, finally, give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I added you to my bloglist but i don't have any replies.. somebody can help me please?
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete