Monday, May 5, 2014

Those congenial details


 
It turns out that recently I have been finding more and more enjoyment in spotting peculiar, truly congenial details in the music I listen to, in the magazines that I read, and especially in the movies or TV programs that I watch. And I don’t mean blunders or bloopers, such as a digital watch on the wrist of an ancient Greek knight. Devoted movie mistake spotters are much better at that. And they do it quite purposefully, I heard (i.e. they sit for hours on end and meticulously observe scene after scene).
My “hobby” is rather accidental. This is how it works:
I watch a movie, say “Beginners
by Mike Mills, starring Ewan McGregor,  and more or less half way through the film I notice that in the main character’s kitchen there is a Polish poster hanging on the wall! What is more, it is a poster of another good movie from the 1960’s “Siedem razy kobieta”. Only then I learnt that Mike Mills is really careful in his selection of film sets and is a graphic artist himself.
Or
Right after the end of every episode of “House MD” there comes a little cartoon advertising a TV production studio (Bad Hat Harry Productions). It is centered around the line originally spoken by Roy Scheider in the 1975 movie, “Jaws”. His character, police chief Martin Brody, is sitting on the beach, nervously observing the people swimming in the sea when Harry comes along wearing a strange cap [hat] on his head.... Obviously, I was not the first one to spot it – but I made this discovery myself.
Or
I listen to some classical music, say a violin masterpiece and after a while I realize that I do not pay attention to the music itself but to the violinist breath which is so audible.  Here is an example If you want to hear some more impressive breathing - eat this. I must admit the pop or rock hits as presented by those two guys are stunning.
This is just a selection of "My Favourite [Small] Things". (BTW: sometimes I just cannot believe that this song was originally performed by Julie Andrews. I mean c'mon!)  Would you share yours with us?

No comments:

Post a Comment